Iowa Newspaper Association Convention 2018
Advantage will be attending the Iowa Newspaper Association 2018 Convention & Trade Show Thursday and Friday, February 1 – February 2 at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Des Moines.
Please stop by our booths #9 & #10 as we continue to highlight the IAHistory Project – our mission to collaborate with Iowa publishers, libraries, educators and community leaders to actively preserve and ensure access to the history contained within Iowa’s newspapers!
We recognize the importance of the history recorded in the pages of Iowa’s newspapers. Our guiding principles are to protect Iowa’s past, make it accessible in the present and ensure its future.
IAHistory Project Status
Preservation Microfilming In Iowa
- Over 30 million Iowa newspaper pages have been preserved on microfilm
- Nearly 32,000 reels of microfilm have been created
- Over 12M pages estimated to be awaiting preservation
Digital Accessibility to Preserved Iowa Content
- Nearly 15,000 reels have been scanned from this collection to date
- Less than 15 million historic Iowa newspaper pages have been digitized
- Ad additional 12,074,700 will be available for digitization once microfilmed
- Microfilm 1.1M Iowa newspaper pages published between 2004 – 2016
- Microfilm up to 11M Iowa newspaper pages published between 1837 – 2003
- Assess, catalog and cross reference all physical newspaper collections
- Work with local communities in an attempt to complete collections
- Provide access to Iowa newspaper pages as an online resource
- Make historical newspaper content available to students across Iowa