Thanks to the Monroe County Iowa Foundation and a joint effort between the Monroe County Genealogical Society and Monroe County Historical Society, Monroe County history is now much more accessible.
Dave Johnson managed the project to provide access Monroe County Newspapers dating as far back as 1854. This includes the historical archive of the Albia Independent Press from 1854-1857.
For many years, the only place to find back copies of the Albia Newspapers were from bound volumes. In the 1960s, newspapers began to be placed on microfilm and that microfilm was located at the Iowa historical museums in Iowa City and Des Moines as well as at the Monroe County Genealogical room at the Carnegie-Evans Library in Albia.
You can read more here.
You can explore the historical newspaper archives here.
Some of the titles online include:
- Weekly Albia Republican, 1857-1859
- Monroe County Sentinel, 1859-1861
- Albia Weekly Gazette, 1861-1862
- Weekly Albia Union, 1862-Current (forebearer to Albia Union-Republican)
- Albia Republic, 1868-1869
- The Spirit of the West, 1869-1874
- Reform Weekly Leader, 1874-1875
- Albia Reporter, (April) 1875-(August) 1875
- Industrial Era, 1875-1884
- The Opinion, 1884
- Albia Democrat, 1879
- Albia Herald, 1889-1890
- Albia News 1870
- The Peoples Defender, 1891-1892
- The Progress Defender, 1892-1896
- Albia Republican, 1894-Present
- Monroe County News, 1890-Present